Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie had its origins in Wimperis & Simpson, an architectural partnership formed by Edmund Walter Wimperis (1865-1946) and William Begg Simpson (1880-1959) in London in 1913. The firm was renamed Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie in 1925 when Leonard Rome Guthrie (1880-1958) joined as a partner. The firm had offices at 61 South Molton Street, London.
Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie continued until 1946 when Wimperis retired from the practice.
The rebuilding of the Fortnum & Mason department store at 181–184 Piccadilly, London (1926-27); alterations to Dupplin Castle in Forteviot, Perthshire, Scotland (c.1925); Grosvenor House, Park Lane, London, with Edwin Landseer Lutyens as consultant (1926); Cambridge Theatre, London, with interiors by Serge Chermayeff (1929-30); North Scottish Regional Broadcasting Station in Burghead, Morayshire (c.1935); Winfield House, London (1936); 63 Harley Street, London (1936); the Marine Gate block of flats in Brighton, Sussex (1939); and Park Lodge and Avenue Lodge and 47, 49, 63, 65, 67, 69, 71, 75 Avenue Road, St. John's Wood, London.
See also: UK Modern House
Source of Images
Modern Small Country Houses. Edited by Roger Smithells, London: Country Life, 1936
‘Dean Bradley House (office block), Horseferry Road, Westminster’ [Designed by: Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie] The Builder 5 January 1940 p. 12
‘Office building in Leicester Square, including a small cinema (400 seats)’. [Designed by: Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie] Architectural Review February 1938 p. 67
‘Offices and shops, corner of New Bond Street and Conduit Street, London’ [Designed by: Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie] The Builder 12 January 1940 p.48